In this Internet Marketing for Beginners lesson we’re going to review why the website is THE MOST mis-understood piece of building a marketing strategy. Most people use it as an over-priced business card. Your website is supposed to create traffic, leads, and revenue opportunity.
When it accomplishes this task – your Internet marketing strategy is sound! Now if you’re smart, you’re using social media sites like Twitter and Facebook to drive traffic to your website. If you’re even smarter you’re paying for website traffic through Facebook advertising and other avenues.
Yes. (Smart) People pay for website traffic.
But that’s another blog post. Even though you’re getting traffic through those channels you’re missing a huge piece of the puzzle. Search.
People search for stuff on the Internet and if you build your website correctly and design an Internet strategy you might find yourself getting organic traffic.
Organic meaning when someone types a query into Google, your page comes up in the results. Just so you know that doesn’t happen through a miracle, it happens because you designed it for it to happen.
Internet Marketing for Beginners: Let’s Review the 7 Pillars
Here are THE fundamental pillars of consideration when it come to building a website that’s actually profitable.
1. We now live in a world of the 7-second attention span. When I visit your website it’s important for you to tell me at hello why I care about you’re selling. Tell me quickly how it will change my life or impact my business.
I really don’t care about anything else. I don’t care about how great, smart or wonderful you are and neither does anyone else. So if you’re building a website or Internet marketing strategy around your ego – good luck to you.
2. The success of your content now depends on attraction marketing as well as having a smart Internet marketing strategy. This fact ties to the 7-second attention span.
You must determine who your target market is, then it’s a matter of designing content that speaks directly to them in a language they understand (Remember you only have 7 seconds to impress me.). When you write content that solves my problems you’ll attract me to you. So instead of talking in your own language, you’ll need to speak in mine (your target market).
3. The world has gone mobile. Information needs to be targeted and compressed. No foreplay (blah blah blah) needed – just the facts.
Your visitors are reading your information from a handheld device and it needs to be condensed in manner that’s strategic. When you’re designing a website or an Internet marketing strategy, mobile is the NUMBER ONE visual consideration. How does it look on a handheld? Is the content condensed, compressed and powerful? Is it easy to navigate? Does it attract leads?
4. Your website must be SEARCHABLE. When someone needs a product or service they go to the search engine (Google for example) and they will type in a query. Ex: plumber in Atlanta Ga. Your website (especially if you have a local marketing driven website) needs to show up on page one of that search.
The searcher won’t go past page one. Showing up on page one doesn’t happen naturally or miraculously. Your website will show up on page one because you have a well-planned Internet marketing search strategy.
5. You’ll need to learn to drive traffic to your website. Not everybody can be on page one of a search query and if you’re going for more of a wide search versus a local one you’re going to need a plan B when it comes to getting traffic. Learning how to market your website and sharing content can greatly increase your visitors thus creating more leads.
6. You CANNOT rely on a web developer for an Internet marketing search strategy. Here’s the reality of the situation – web developers know how to build the pages of a website and that’s where their knowledge ends.
If you’re relying on web developer for an Internet marketing strategy you’re in BIG trouble.This is something you’ll need in hand BEFORE you go to a developer. This is the NUMBER ONE SCREW UP. I’ve had a front roll seat on more than one occasion whereas an entrepreneur spent a ton of money on a website THEN they realized they didn’t even have an Internet marketing search strategy. Don’t let this be you!
7. Your website MATTERS! ALOT. It doesn’t matter if you have an Internet-based business or a hair salon on Main Street. Your website is an incredibly important instrument in your business. Websites for the most part get treated like the red-headed-step-child in a business and it’s this type of behavior that cause businesses to lose money and not grow.
The way we communicate is changing dramatically and fast – the world lives on the web. Marketing your business online can create opportunities in your business that impact the bottom line!
There is a new generation of people coming into play when it comes to selling your goods and services and if you aren’t where they are – you don’t even matter. They use the web for everything!
To find what they need and to purchase goods and services. If your business isn’t there, you’re losing money! If you’re competitor is – you’re losing customers!
Your homework assignment is to take a look at your website and compare it to the 7 pillars. Make yourself a to-do list and get to it! If you’re working to create a powerful and profitable website here are two articles you need to read: