Want the secret to huge success and riches? Focus. Laser focus and super-clarity.
This is the magic potion that makes dreams come true. People that are incredibly successful are FOCUSED. They know what they’re doing, why they’re doing it, and WHO they’re doing it for. Do you?
In this marketing lesson we’re going to talk about your Perfect Customer. This is the person or company that’s the perfect fit for your business. I don’t have to tell you that marketing a business is not for sissies! This shit is very hard! It’s a ton of hard work and sometimes the hard work can bring little reward and what sucks about that is you can’t give up, you have to keep trying if you’re going to make it work.
What makes marketing especially hard is the fact that we now live in an 8 second or less attention span world. You’re not just competing for business, your competing for someone’s attention. Winning at this is no easy task. So you’re saying “Preach it Tammy, that’s so true!”
Okay, so if you feel that way, then why are you making it so much damn harder than it already is? Why don’t you have a solid marketing strategy in your business that revolves around your Perfect Customer?
Marketing Strategy – Achieving a Connection with Your Target
If you don’t have ANY sort of marketing strategy in your business and you have no idea who you’re even talking to, then you don’t even know if they even care about what you sell in the first place! Let me ask you… How do YOU Take in information?
Do you scan everything while you’re reading Facebook, sending a text and buying a pair of shoes online? If you say yes, then you’re just like the majority of us. If you read every little detail of every single thing and let every little second of it sink in, then not only are you 2% of the population, but you’re a marketer’s wet dream.
What I don’t understand is people KNOW they scan everything yet they market their businesses as if their target market reads everything. I will never understand this madness! We are a society of people that are exhausted by information and we have everything we want at our fingertips.
So if you aren’t talking directly to ME in a language that I understand, well then guess what? I don’t hear you! If your marketing efforts are generic, guess what? I don’t hear you. If you want my attention you have to talk specifically to me, in a language I understand, about the things I need and problems I’m facing. You can’t just talk to me about things YOU need to sell. You have to talk to me about things I need/want to buy. Do you understand the difference?
Marketing Strategy – Connect with Your Perfect Customer in 5 Steps
1. Who are they? You should be SO intimate with your Perfect Customer profile that you have an avatar of them you’ve even given a name to. It needs to be printed out and put on your wall above your computer so they’re constantly in your face.
Not only that but they need to be the first consideration for every single decision you make in your business. If your Perfect Customer’s name is Betty then what you’ll ask yourself every time you even write a blog post, “How would Betty like this, would it help her?”
2. What is their language? Are you able to talk to your Perfect Customer in their language? Do you know their needs? The problems they face in their business? What are they looking for? What do you do that is perfectly aligned with their needs?
3. How do they know? When your Perfect Customer visits your website do they know you’re talking to them at HELLO? The average person spends about 3 seconds on a website before they’re onto the next thing. What makes them stay? Did you write your website FOR THEM? Remove yourself from the equation, also remove your ego (FYI people with ego driven businesses in today’s world are typically broke), and your own agenda and look at everything from their perspective. How does it look?
4. What do they need? Have you done hard research and you’re 100% certain that you’ve matched something they need with what you sell? What kinds of research? How extensive? What were your resources? Are you sure they’re 100% accurate? So much that you’re willing to bet everything on it?
5. How will you attract them? In the world of the 8-second attention span it’s not enough to ask people to buy something from you, you have to compel them to! This is one of the things that I LOVE about content marketing. By using a tool like blogging you can put yourself in a position of an expert and write brilliantly about problems your Perfect Customer faces and then give them solutions. They don’t have to ask if you’re qualified to have their business – you’re walking the walk.
Do you see the difference? They can read one of your blog posts about something they’re facing and they can self-select (This is what I call the process of your Perfect Customer selling themselves!)
Niche Marketing Magic
When you learn to talk the language of your Perfect Customer so well, so eloquently, this is when the magic happens in your business. So I ask you – who is your Perfect Customer? Know your Perfect Customer well, let them be the motive of every decision. I promise you, these are the business tactics and marketing strategies of success!