What is marketing exactly?
It’s the process of using various tools and methods in an effort to reach your target market so you can persuade them to buy your products and services.
When you don’t reach your target market effectively – you can’t sell to them.
When you don’t reach ENOUGH of your target market effectively – your sales weaken.
Here’s one big consideration when it comes to selling – it’s about timing.
By the way not YOUR timing, your target market’s timing.
When Creating a Marketing Strategy Here are 3 Selling Considerations
1. People don’t always buy right away.
2. People sometimes buy from you again.
3. People sometimes will buy a different product or service from you than they bought the last time.
A great marketing strategy takes these rules into consideration.
Due to the fact that marketing is about your target market’s timing, a great part of a marketing strategy is being where they need you to be when that time comes.
Marketing Straetegy: Short Term Gain – Long Term Focus
Anyone that has been following me a decent amount of time knows this is the core of what I teach.
When creating a marketing strategy it’s imperative to have short term gains (cash flow) while creating a long term marketing strategy.
Without the long term strategy component your business will experience extreme highs and lows. You will have times of good profit flow and perhaps at times experience dangerous situations like struggling to meet payroll.
The secret is avoiding the high and low – instead you want to create a strategy whereas you are in control. Even and consistent growth over time is the key to success and the antidote to business STRESS.
Marketing Strategy: How to Start?
Dan who is a business owner in Edinburgh Scotland recently wrote me about his business. He asked me how exactly do you create a short term gain and a long term marketing strategy?
Okay Dan this is for you and let’s make this super simple.
First let me ask you this, how do you attract your target market? What special offers do you have or what makes you stand out in your space? You need to market that offer in places you know your target market hangs out.
Short Term Gain
1. Facebook ad driving traffic to a special offer you have.
2. Google Ads that put you in the top of popular searches your target market conducts to find your business.
3. Drive all advertising traffic to landing pages designed for conversion (not to your home page of your website that is a FAIL.)
4. Email marketing campaigns that send out your offers but also cross sells when relevant and keeps your business top of mind.
5. Customer reward programs where relevant combined with a strategic SMS (short message service like texting) marketing campaigns.
6. A strong focus on growing your online reviews which makes you more prevalent in searches.
Long Term Strategy
1. A strong focus on growing your list.
2. Build a great website that first of all contains great content your target market finds useful. Secondly, it needs to be in the top 3 positions for top searches your target market conducts to find your business.
3. Stay in touch with your target market -talk to them, ask them questions. How does your product meet what they need or want? How can you be better?
4. Keep a solid eye on competition. What are their strengths and weaknesses? What can you do better?
5. Create remarketing campaigns using tools like Facebook and Google ads to keep your business in front of people that have already visited your website.
6. Build your online reviews for short and long term marketing strategy always focus on this it will grow your bottom line exponentially and this is something your competitor is really weak at in most cases.
7. This is a big one – create and have a mindset that accepts and embraces change. The future is about change. Those who adjust quickly will benefit greatly, those who do not will struggle in their business.
Where to Start?
If you have a service based business you have a high search equity business. Meaning your customer client or patient is looking for online. You have to be in this search. First of all a great Google ad campaign will get you there fast for the short term side while you need to be working on a website that organically appears for searches ideally you need to be all over the search.
Anywhere your business can appear for top search queries and at the top of those queries your business will grow.
Another thing most businesses over look is email marketing – it is still very relevant today. Stay in touch with existing customers. Make them special offers and remind them about your business.
Grow your list – always be growing the list.
Use Facebook in strategic ways to make special offers to your target market.
Adapt a little at time. Take small steps but take steps forward every single day.